Kampala. The national football team, Cranes, on Friday bowed out of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations after suffering a 1-0 to defeat to Senegal at the round-of-16-stage.
Going by the latest reports, the result could well have been a blessing in disguise for domestic football governing body Fufa.
This is after it has emerged that the source of contention for the bonus row between Cranes players and the federation stemmed from the latter’s failure to acknowledge and commit payment for the team reaching the knockout stage.
The federation issued two statements on Wednesday last week with the latter indicating it would pay the players $6,000 to each player an amount which was not agreed upon in the code of conduct.
“Considering the magnitude and importance of the event of Uganda Cranes match against the Teranga Lions of Senegal, the interests of the Nation, Government, the Sponsors, and the gallant fans, FUFA has agreed to pay USD6,000 to each player over and above the agreed terms in the Code of Conduct and that matters of Finances will not be discussed until the end of Uganda cranes participation in the Tournament.
This position has been duly communicated to the Players,” part of the statement read.
Daily Monitor has since been told by a source that attended the meetings that involved of State Minister for Sports, Charles Bakabulindi and Bukedea Woman MP Anita Among that the Cranes’ progression appeared to catch the federation by surprise.
“The players wanted a commitment when the federation would pay the $6,000 they were promised after signing the code conduct which the federation did not respond to at the time,” the source who preferred not to be named at this stage told us.
The Cranes are also set to be hosted by President Museveni this afternoon at State House, Entebbe upon return.